This is a lazy but time-involved meal from my 2008 Southern Living Cookbook.
Lazy because you only chop a couple of things and time-involved because it takes time to roast vegetables. This adaptation of the recipe serves 2.
1 cup short-grain brown rice
1/2 pound zucchini
1/2 pound yellow squash
1 red pepper
1 small sweet onion
1/4 almond pieces, dry roasted and unsalted
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Cook the rice – brown rice takes awhile so it’s best to get it going.
3. Chop up the zucchini, squash, and pepper into large pieces – 1/2″ to 1″ dices. Cut the onion into 8 wedges.
4. Put all the vegetables on an aluminum covered baking sheet. Toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast for 20 minutes, stir, and put back in the oven for 20 minutes.
5. Mix the rice, vegetables, and almonds together.